-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:30 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Colors

> When I ordered my '01, the MB Taste Police would not allow a
> tannish (now called Java) interior with any of the colors I wanted.
> Metallic red, for example.

Let me get this straight. You ordered the car, built to your needs and
desires. You wanted an interior that was available for that model,
combined with an exterior that was available for that model, and the
computer wouldn't allow the dealer to process the order that way?
If I were the would-be customer, that would be a NO SALE until the
dealer got on the phone with HQ and found a way to place the order the
way I wanted it.

I remember a story from the early 1990's. The police chief from a small
place in California (La Jolla, perhaps?) went into a Saturn dealer (no
police package on the order form there) and wanted a couple of black
cars with white doors, hoods, and trunk lids. Salesman said "let me
check on it, we've never done that before". The order was submitted that
same day, and the chief had his economy cop cars a month or two
later. Saturn used it as an example of why they were a different sort
of car company, but why can't it be that way at every car maker?