because the problem is not the thermostat.  On this one, the radiator is blocked by a shroud, except for where the 2 fans are.  I'm guessing that is to keep bugs out of the radiator.   So without the fans running, it runs too hot.  when the fans run it is fine.   Larry put a new thermostat in it not that long ago.   If I had evidence of a thermostat problem I would change it.  so far it is quite clear:  Fans running, no overheat.  Fans not running, overheating.   With the sensor on top of the engine plugged in, the fans never run.   THat is a problem.   When that sensor is unplugged, the fans are intermittent.

If the R134a has leaked out, would the low pressure switch cause the fans not to run?   Seems to me that the fans should be independent of the a/c, but obviously they are linked at the drier.  Fans should run when the A/c is off.