Rather than tag onto Dan's original email on the subject, I thought I would just start over.

What do you folks expect to pay for a kitchen remodel. I have had clients who spent over $100K renovating their kitchens. I gather it is not difficult to spend at least $50K as friends did that a few years back.

I am poor and frugal. I built my own. It took quite a while - mostly because we worked on the cabinets in winters and stopped in summers and made more changes along the way. All told, I don't think we spent more than about $5K. They are solid oak and plywood. I think you could park a truck on the counter without crushing them and the uppers are supporting hundreds of pounds of dishes. There are no doors on the bottom cabinets apart from 2 under the sink. All the rest of the bottom cabinets have drawers. The uppers all have water glass inset into the doors. We did not go high end on the counter tops. We debated about doing Corion (sp?) but my wife was concerned that she might tire of the colour so we went with fairly basic counter tops on the assumption that it would be easier to justify replacement if she decided she wanted something different. That is the only place where there is particle board - under the formica or whatever you prefer to call it.They may look a bit dated by current standards but have not caused much trouble in about 15 years. A few of the European style hinges have had to be replaced but that is about it. They are unfortunately not quite finished but that has ceased to be a priority. I need to cover the toe kick with oak and to put a trim at the ceiling (the upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling). They are also getting to the point where they should have a bit more varnish applied. We used water based varnish and I do not think it is quite a hardy as the old polyurethane. It is a bit more easy to tolerate while coating them as it does not have much odor.

RB