It could easily be covid 19 unfortunately. Diarrhea is one of the known
presenting symptoms in a significant minority of patients. Of course it
could be tens of other viruses or bacteria also.

The doc probably doesnt have any access to a test for non hospitalized
patients. That is changing rapidly, but we are still not at that level of
test availability. So thay have no way to rule out covid 19.

You can get one forecast for hospital bed shortages here. Florida peaks
later I think:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/?fbclid=IwAR22wuagEnK_CIc2Httm1vTDRU8LAE7QQK6wNlq4McYnbqOt3CFk5vp5Mao

Either way chicken soup, sleep and keep a weather eye out in 5-7 days if he
isnt looking right. Significant shortness of breath is about the only
reason to go to an ER.

That's the tough part of this thing - variable presentation. Many people
seem to not get super sick at all, and the ones who do have a variety of
symptoms. Might not be a bad idea to isolate him from you if he has any
respiratory stuff at all.