So my 71 280SL has been in storage for 3.5 years. I’ve been too busy to drive
it or even start it. As I’m preparing my garage for the installation of doors,
I need to make room for the installers so the car has to be moved outside for a
few days.
Battery reads 12.04 volts which is very surprising after sitting for so long. I
put it on the charger for an hour or so then attempt to start. Cranks fine but
does not turn over. I notice that the fuel pump is dead silent. Not good. I
then wack it a bunch of times both on the side and bottom and it starts to make
some noise but not a healthy one. I then try to start car again. Seems like it
wants to start but battery losing steam. Back on the charger for an hour and
then I try again. The fuel pump sounds great now and the car starts on the
first try. The engine runs smoothly without stalling! Wow. Gotta love these
cars! Only issue is brake pedal goes to the floor. Can’t win every battle but
at least I was able to get Mr. Pagoda outside!

Sent from my iPhone