Lol, I said nearly thirty years ago that desktop publishing (and by extension,
social media now) would be the end of civilization.  Any idiot can publish
things now -- back when it cost a couple hundred thousand dollars to get
something in print, the trash got filtered out.  If someone wanted to crank out
their screed on a mimeograph, everyone knew it was probably junk.

Now it's hard to tell the difference, and there is NO filter on anything.  We
are drowning in garbage.

The good thing is that this has happened before, multiple times, and once
people figure out they are being fed garbage they tend to wise up a little.

After all, we had rampant yellow journalism around the turn of the last
century, and now newspapers are considered reliable sources.  It's just gonna
take a while with social media -- we will get there, but not soon.

Me, I'm about done with the noise.  Had to upgrade to a "smart" phone because
Verizon is planning to end support for 3G/1x, and my old phone was getting
unreliable (and had trouble with "smart" text).  I hate it.  Endless "upgrades"
for junk I don't use and will never use, hard to type on (my thumbs are bigger
than the chicklet sized letters on the keypad), stupid touch screen is never
working right, and the damned buttons are almost impossible to use without
accidentally pushing the wrong one.

To say nothing of the ridiculous GLASS front and back and the super fragile
OLED display that fails when you drop the phone (because the connections come
apart in the wiring).