Never had a wheel bearing fail on a MBZ but did on my 2008 Outback.  It sounded
like gear noise that got worse over time.
The temperature method was not conclusive for identifying which rear bearing
was bad.  So I got someone else to drive as I crawled around to isolate the bad
side by sound.
I don't know about MBZ (especially anything after 126s) but turns out Subaru
used different bearing designs for different years.  Fortunately I had the
one-piece version that bolts on and was easy to replace (with help from several
YouTube vids).
The speed sensor (if any) can be tricky.  Some are easy to screw up.