Marshall,

I do oil changes every 3K mils w/ 7 qt of Mobil Delvac 1300 dino oil.  I
wait for the oil level light to go on prior to adding oil and dump in a qt.
I'll hit the 3K mark before the light comes on for the 3'rd time.

And yes, if it's all high-speed highway driving, I'll have to add that 3'rd
quart.

>Marshall Booth wrote:

>Once a rod bends, it's usual for the oil consumption to increase
>quickly. While oil consumption on MOST OM60x engines averages less than
>a qt in 3000 miles, if the engine is filled to the MAX mark at oil
>changes and frequently topped up to that mark, oil consumption of double
>that number is possible especially if the car sees a fair amount of high
>speed (60+ mph) driving. If the oil consumption is holding, bent rods
>are VERY unlikely.

>ANGELO GIAIMO wrote:
> Kaleb,
>
> What do you base your diagnosis on?  Head was off 75K ago for a head
> gasket.  No signs of bent rods at that time, and oil consumption has only
> increased a little since then..  Not denying it COULD be, though.

Angelo Giaimo/Fishkill/IBM @ IBMUS
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(845)894-4296 (tie 533); fax: 892-6235 (tie 532);
2070 Rt. 52; Hopewell Junction, N.Y. 12533