The fuel door is supposed to automatically lock when you lock the car,
so is trunk and the other 3 doors. If this is not happening you have
vacuum issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Zoltan Finks
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:28 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Fuel door and cap

Here's another one from my list of wonders:

The fuel door (83 240D) does not seem to have any locking mechanism.
Yes, I
see the little pin and the hole in the door that it plugs into, but I
thought that there was a switch or lever inside the cabin that activated
it.
Instead, it appears that it just sort of grazes the pin, and the door
just
swings shut and to open it, you push on the side opposite the "locking
pin".
I don't remember seeing anything about a lever to pop it when I read the
manual. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if I was mistaken. Enlighten me.

Also:

Is there a type of locking fuel CAP made for these things? It would be
way
too easy for someone to push open the fuel door, pop the cap off and
dump
whatever they wanted in there, or to steal my gold - er - fuel.

Brian
83 240D
Beginning to feel like Mad Max