I swapped out the radiator the other day and today filled it with
coolant/distilled water. I fill from the reservoir until full then I pull the
upper hose off the radiator then fill it into the hose until fill then
reattached. I then started it up and ran it for probably 10-15 minutes. Temp
rose steady till it hit the normal operating temp on the gauge. I then took it
out for a test. As soon as I pulled onto the street temp started climbing. I
immediately pulled back into the shop. Nearest I can figure is I thought I got
it full from the top hose but must not have. I could not feel any water in the
hose when squeezing it. I then loosened the cap a little and it had quite a bit
of pressure enough to where fluid started coming out. I ran it for a few
minutes on high heat before doing this. After releasing enough pressure I
pulled the upper hose in again and it was dry. Filled in a whole gallon of
distilled water in there and topped off the reservoir. Started it back up and
it did not start getting hot but after a few minutes with the cap left off
coolant started rising up and flowing out of the tank. Shut it back off, pull
the upper hose again and it still appears to be dry. I filled in some more
water and also filled in the reservoir until it was flowing out of the top
outlet of the radiator. Reconnected hose and put cap back on then started it
up. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes and temp was fine, but upper hose seemed
stiff. I don’t recall it being stiff before while running. Temp was still good
so I shut hood to take it out. Got back in the car and temp was now up to about
half way between the line above 80 and the next line next to red. Too warm for
me. Shut it down. Upper hose is rock hard.

I suspect the worse but will let it set until tomorrow and see what it does. I
guess I didn’t get the the engine filled the first time so it was running with
no coolant circulating and didn’t show up on temp gauge. Quite disappointing
and all my fault if really blown.

Now I’m going to crawl under the 240d and start pulling the slave cylinder and
master.

Sent from my iPhone