The outdoor unit sucks in air from the back and blows it out the front.  I
mounted mine to the wall thinking that would keep the coils cleaner (grass
clippings, splashed mud, etc) and less susceptible to damage (like hit by a
mower).  The commercial pads are plastic now but it's easy enough to cast one
in place if you go that way.

My Pioneer indoor unit was set up for lines to exit the right (seen from
inside) side and that's how I did mine.  Instructions say you can use the other
side, but I didn't try that.  The condensate drain and routing is important to
get right.  You don't want water to collect anywhere (more so here where it
freezes).  I enclosed the exposed outside wires in flexible conduit.  I'll look
to see if I have any useful photos.