I can think of times where I've had my head under the fender with the
wheel off and the car on jackstands. I do usually throw the wheel under
the car in that case as a backstop saftey measure.

I've also worked under the car many times on jackstands for other
things. Exhaust hangers, flex discs, transmission filters, etc. Thinking
about the wood ramp idea for that kind of thing now. Do you have a long
ramp for the entire car length, or do you use shorter ramps under front
and back wheels separately?

On this Honda I have, if I change the transmission I need to pull the
front axles and drop the transmission from under the car. Need the
wheels off for that, and also need to raise the car to make room to
work. Sure a lift is ideal, but I can't justify the cost of a lift for
the few times it'd really be nice to have. Neighbor used to have one,
but he moved and sold it.

Will probably be ordering some high quality jackstands.