That is the device that maintains the electrical connections (for the
airbag, horn, and perhaps other controls mounted on the steering wheel)
between the steering wheel and the steering column.  I don't think it has a
big clockspring in it, I know it does not for my 124 cars.  On my cars, it
has carbon brushes that make the connection with copper rings on the
underside of the steering wheel.
Max
Charleston SC