The only time I thought hurricanes might be fun was when I was in a disaster
control role.  In the victim role they were not fun, ever, for me.
I lived 4 years on the TX gulf coast and 19 years on the FL gulf coast, almost
all "on the water."  The rule of thumb is hide from the wind and run from the
water.  It's a good rule.
The worst place to be in a hurricane is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic
trying to evacuate.  Evacuate early or not at all.  The next worst place is an
official shelter;  these are simply structures that can probably stand the wind
and probably won't flood.  There is generally no food, water, or creature
comforts and you co-evacuees may kill you for a candy bar.
Home is probably best if it's above the storm surge if winds are 100 MPH or
less.  Cell phones and old-style land lines may work but a battery AM/FM radio
is the most reliable source of information.
A small generator that can run the refrigerator, a fan, and a couple light
bulbs can make things infinitely more tolerable while camping in the house.
The power company crews (many from out-of-state are real heroes.
If your structure won't survive the expected wind or you are likely to be
flooded get out; have a motel (or relatives) reservation before leaving home;
they fill up fast.  Some motels will take small pets; research that long before
you need to know.
How "bad:" a storm is for residents depends on intensity (bad) and speed
(good).
The only time we evacuated was Opal in 1995.  Opal had been a stationary Cat 1
storm in the Bay of Campeche (Mexico) when we went to bed.  When I rechecked at
0500 the next morning it had suddenly sprinted for our area with a predicted
landfall that afternoon at Cat 3 strength.  The actual Landfall was 10 miles
west of our location (putting us in bad quadrant).  With no real planning we
put out water and food for the pets, grabbed the go-bag, and left at first
light.  Soon I-10 became total gridlock so we took the very next exit (which
required two more hours) and SWMBO navigated secondary roads to Albany GA,
where we spent the next two days.  When we returned, the house was intact (even
though nothing had been boarded up) but my boat (a Columbia 8.7) was on the
bottom.  Many trees were down, and fences flattened, docks pulled up, and the
receding water left many tons of other debris (no bodies, thankfully).  Living
without power was uncomfortable and it took me several weeks to cleanup (I was
much younger then).
Lessons: keep vehicles fueled.  Have cash. Have a bugout location in hip
pocket.  Don't let the cupboard get bare.  Observe generator safety-especially
monoxide and gasoline.  Secure lose outdoor items.  Protect vulnerable windows.
Scott
.