My most exciting (and odd) lightning encounter was in a 30 ft. sail boat
returning from the Destin inlet.  A storm came up suddenly so we motored under
full power into the wind (under bare poles).  The rain was so dense we could
not even see the bow so we steered by compass. The flash and bang were
simultaneous.  Folks in the cockpit pointed forward at the very close lightning
strike.  Folks in the cabin pointed aft, also at a very close strike.  Either
there were two simultaneous lightning bolts or one bolt split and hit in front
and behind us.  I remembered the hair on my arms standing up just before the
lightning strike.  As the rain abated we saw we had been blown backwards about
1/4 mile despite using full power.