My STAR system is on a VM that runs off an external drive. It works fine, but
it’s sluggish and I don’t care to have the hassle of an external drive. I found
a larger hard drive for my laptop, but I want to move the VM to the larger hard
drive and put it into the laptop as the boot drive.

I have both VMware Workstation on a PC as well as VirtualBox on a PC and my
Mac. Here’s the process I want to use:

STAR VM
Clonezilla ISO
320 GB IDE hard drive connected to host via USB

I’ll set up the Clonezilla ISO to boot, which should allow me to copy the VM to
the physical drive. This is a common method to copy a VM to a physical device.

Here’s the rub:

I can’t get the VM to recognize the USB connected drive as a hard drive. While
it gives me the ability to add one via the VM settings, it wants to see a .vmdk
or similar virtual drive, not a physical drive. Apparently there are ways to
create a vmdk file that “points” at a physical drive, but I’ve been
unsuccessful in getting this to work.

I’m stumped as to how to proceed at this point. There’s got to be a way to get
the VM to recognize the USB hard drive.

????

-D