I recently installed an AO Smith gas water heater to replace the
original in our house that developed a leak (after 20-ish years of
service).

Bought it at Lowes, installed it myself. No complaints so far. Also got
a $100 rebate from the gas company.

At the time I asked a few questions here, and someone said that there's
really no difference in build quality between the 6 or 10 year
warranty. They just charge more to offset their risk on having to pay
out. You can probably find the thread in archives or your old list
email.

I would not do the on-demand (assuming that means tankless) if your
house didn't orginally have that. They can be OK if your demand pattern
is long showers or filling large baths. For handwashing, etc. you end up
running a lot more water down the drain before you get hot water at the
faucet. And if your clothes washer is like my LG Front Loader, it fills
in a series of short on/off cycles and you'll never get hot water from a
tankless heater that way. They also can have different venting and gas
supply requirements from the typical tank heater.

Allan