It's usually the old, dried up electrolytic capacitors, and they are easy
to see - the bottom is usually pushed out. IIRC, you have replaced those in
MB boards - the big old console will be easier to work on.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:03 PM Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I need to find some vintage radio repair guy I guess, not something I’m
> going to tackle.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 12, 2020, at 7:55 PM, Jim Cathey <jim.cathey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> [I] do not know anything about replacing transistors
> >
> > It has to be done carefully, else your replacements pop just like the
> originals did.
> > Bringing them up slowly on a Variac and probing carefully around the
> circuitry to
> > keep an eye on things along the way is often a very good thing.  Check
> the capacitors
> > first, it's likely that some other circuit component failed first and
> the rest all went in
> > a cascade.

> > Yes.  I swear by Caig De-Ox-It.
> >
> > -- Jim

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!