I believe the issue is that the radio is a "Sirius" radio, prior to the
merger of the Sirius and XM services.

I don't remember all the details, but in early 2019 I was interested in
activating the radio because we were planning a long trip and I thought
it would be nice to not have to find new stations every hour or so.

After some failed attempts and googling, I came to the conclusion that
the radio was no longer compatible with the service.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't even receive the "preview"
channels, whereas the XM radio in my '06 Element does.

So maybe if your old radio is an "XM" radio it will work, but if a
"Sirius" radio it won't.

Allan