after cutting off the offending tab. It sort of fits. There is too much
gap for the outer two clips to be installed, so the two inner clips are
the only thing holding the radiator to the front cross-member. They are
the wider of the two and it looks like things will be OK. The left outer
clip, however, could not be installed even if the gap were smaller because
the radiator's core ends too far to the right to provide a place for it
to grab. In addition, the radiator is twisted a little by the clamps
because the angle of the passenger-side plastic end cap

Anyway, I then used my Cornwell MSM-201CR Vacuum Assist Cooling System
Refiller I purchased from a pawn shop in July. Interesting process.

I dumped in a plastic 5-gallon bucket:

   - the contents one unopened Zerex G-05 jug,
   - one gallon of store-bought drinking water,
   - the remainder of the contents of an opened Zerex G-05 jug,
        which amounted to about 2.8 quarts according to the scale
        on the side of the jug, and,
   - 2.8 quarts of store-bought drinking water determined by pouring
        water up to the same level in the second antifreeze jug the
        antifreeze previously had

So, I should have had 3 gallons 1.6 quarts. The shop manual, section
2080, page 1 says an OM602 engine takes 9.5 liters, which is 2.51 gallons.

After I evacuated the system (which leaked down much more slowly with
the new radiator) and filled the system by having the vacuum suck the
antifreeze mix in, I should have had 3.6 quarts of antifreeze mix left
over, but I had more than that by about 1.5 quarts.

Also, after the system would take no more antifreeze mix, I heard gurgling
noises from the vicinity of the front of the engine / radiator.

In thinking about this, I at first thought my problem was due to not
opening the heater valves, but then I remembered there is no way to do
that manually on this car and besides, those block the flow only on one
side of the heater cores and evacuating the system would have coolant
flowing toward both sides of the valves.

So, is something wrong?

Thank you,

Craig