We had a 70 Beetle, dropped #3 exhaust valve and we had a family friend rebuild
it.  Rusted away, but we all drove the stuffings out of it.  Great car for what
it was.

The trick to them is that they NEED valve adjustments, particularly on #3
cylinder because the oil cooler is on that side and #3 tends to run warm.  If
you don't keep them adjusted, the exhaust valve will get tight, overheat, and
break off.

Changing the o-rngs on the oil cooler is also a necessity that is always
ignored -- eventually they leak, and when enough oil gets in there the engine
catches of fire on the highway and destroys the car.