It’s not so much that the upholstery “wore out” but the perforated material in
the center of the cushion breaks down from wear and UV and tears easily.

My 1995 E420 has the exact same issue, probably because it spend most of it’s
life in south Florida. If this car spent a lot of time outside that could
easily explain it. Also, the outer panels of the lower seat cushions in the
rear are broken down as well, also an indicator of UV damage.

-D