Last time around the Ruskies got access to some state voter databases and there
was some discussion about being able to hack into some voting machines (Diebold
ones I think) that could be hooked up and programmed remotely.  There was no
definite evidence that any votes were interfered with, but there was a very
strong effort to spread mis-information and create mistrust -- the Ruskies have
been very, very good at that since before the October Revolution.

I don't know what was done, but I can guess -- keep all voting machines and
voter databases OFF the internet.  If it ain't plugged in, no one can access it
unless they are on one of the networked computers.  This is VERY elementary
data protection, but everyone drools when you say "internet" these days, and
the internet is about a secure as shouting your information from your front
porch.

I would also guess that newer voting machines can't be connected to the
internet and are "dumb"  -- that is to say, they just tally the marked boxes
and report a total, possibly keeping a record of each ballot.  If you make them
really dumb they are very hard to "hack".

We got new voting machines locally that just print a ballot.  That ballot is
then scanned, and has the selected candidates printed on it along with a QR
code for the scanner.  Makes it possible to do a hand re-count if necessary.
The old machines here were the Diebold ones that didn't print anything, just
recorded the votes.  I never liked them, it's FAR to easy too hide code in them
that changes votes with no way to check, and in fact some areas that switched
to those machines had a significant shift in Republican to Democrat vote
rartios compared to past elections.

I think this was the cleanest and fairest election we have every had, with
probably the most accurate vote count.  Georgia did three counts for the
Presidential election and they didn't vary more than a few hundred votes out of
several million.