It predates drones. There have been third party services that use Google Earth
and other photo mapping services to look for changes to buildings and property.
They sell the data to municipalities for identifying changes to properties.

The county I lived in Indiana back in 2008-2011 used a survey service for the
property appraiser like this to bust people for improvements to their property.
I had a neighbor who put up a garden shed and within about three months they
got a notice of reassessment. I believe they also got busted for not getting a
permit, too. Of course, someone for the county could have taken notice or a
neighbor could have ratted them out, too.

-D