A high school buddy used to be a “junior” curator at the 500 Speedway museum.
He talked about how they were really picky about donations of cars, no matter
what they were, because they almost always came with some sort of demands or
requirements from the owner. Things like how they would be displayed, whether
or not the museum could sell them in the future, etc., etc. He said that in
some cases when they accepted donations of multiple vehicles it could get
dicey, because some could be real clunkers requiring substantial restoration
($$$) that weren’t of much value or interest to the collection.

He’s not there any more, which is too bad, as he would be a good resource for
the ones they’ve been actively auctioning off some of the collection from the
“vault” (their underground storage garage that’s not part of the public view)
on BaT of late. Too many cars, not enough space, storing and maintaining them
costs money and takes away from the restoration and maintenance of cars that
are more closely related to the subject of the museum.

-D