From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: December 31, 2020 2:34 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: astr...@indiana.edu
Subject: [MBZ] question for young investor

For those of you who might have some investment backgroud, does it make
more sense for an 18 year old to open an investment account as an IRA or
as a normal brokerage account?

My thought is that he's not going to have significant taxable income for
at least another four or five years, and will eventually have more
immediate needs for the funds such as qualifying to buy a house.

I think an IRA starts to make more sense when you can contribute from
salary witholding and possibly getting employer matching.

Not trying to get him into active trading at all. Just establishing the
habit of dollar-cost-averaging into an index fund or ETF for the long
term.

Allan