Well I do, and I've pretty easily managed an average 10-12% annual return
over the long term.

Making money investing in index funds is easy, as your own advisor.  The
most basic rule: buy low, and sell high.  Plan for both bear markets and
bull markets, and use each to your advantage.

Make a simple plan, and stick to it.  I've got 4 index funds with Vanguard
which comprise 70% of my Roth IRA (total stock market, small cap, REIT, and
international), and then 30% in either cash or their Ginnie Mae bond fund.
I set targets as a percentage of the portfolio for each fund, I think they
are something like 25% total stock market, 20% small cap, 15%
international, and 10% REIT.  I picked these funds as they all are
relatively decent as long term investments and also because they tend to
move up or down in price independently or with different speed.  The total
market fund and the small cap both tend to move in the same direction at
the same time, but the small cap moves faster.  REIT gives me exposure to
commercial real-estate.  The International index will sometimes follow the
US markets but sometimes will not.  Vanguard recently added a technology
index fund, VITAX, and I've been considering that as an addition which will
track the NASDAQ and has lots of volatility but very good long term returns.

Dollar-cost average with monthly automatic purchases.  If you want to get a
little sophisticated and love to play with spreadsheets, you can value-cost
average instead of dollar cost average.  Value-cost average means that
every month, you look at all the index funds in your portfolio, and you
make your purchases to try to keep the portfolio balanced (i.e. you buy
what is low, compared to the other funds).  I don't have enough time for
this, but if I were starting over 30 years ago, I'd probably do this.

Once a year, I re-balance, which forces me to sell what is high and buy
what is low.  This is key.  Re-balancing forces you to automatically sell
what is high (relative to the rest of your portfolio) and buy what is low.
By low, sell high, THAT is a good part of how you make your money.
Rebalance once a year, or you can go two years if you're lazy.  Simple,
slow and steady, no excitement, no need to pay someone else.

When the stock market tanks, THAT is when the FUN begins, because STOCKS
are ON SALE!  I've got 30% of my portfolio in cash or GNMA (my dry powder),
so I just need to buy when they ring the bell when the market hits the
bottom.  You didn't hear the bell ring?  Neither did I, ever.  The best I
can do is bracket it.  When the market is down 10% or more, I plow in some
cash.  If it goes down to 25% or so, I buy some more, and if it keeps
falling, I keep buying, until I'm all in or it starts rocketing back up.
Ride the market back up, which takes 6 months to a year or maybe longer,
and then I take my cash back out at a nice fat profit.  The stock market is
cyclical, and stock prices tend to fluctuate.  Keep this in mind, have a
plan for when the bear market comes because it WILL come around every 5-10
years or so, and use that bear market to buy stocks on sale and come out
stronger on the other side.  Stay invested for the long term (at least ten
years) so you get full advantage of the bull markets.
Max
Charleston SC