On 2021-01-01 21:56, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
Replaced the struts today, was thankfully a very non-frustrating job
compared to the alternator a few months ago.

I saw a video yesterday, could have been titled "how I landed my dream job by tearing the front end off a VW to replace the alternator"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6mCOw03FU

Only surprise was the side that had the broken strut, I should have
thought about it but the thing popped out under spring pressure once I
got the bottom end free. Fortunately it wasn't under much tension.

Was the strut broken or the top mount bearing?
Anyway, you discovered one of the situations in which a quick strut kit is not a replacement for a spring compressor, glad it worked out OK.

I can remember thinking about paying $2500 for Dan's Focus, IIRC it had stick shift and leather interior. I ended up paying $1400 for a 2007 stick shift Saturn instead. Served me well enough for the last five years and 42kmi.