Thanks, I studied up on it a coupla years ago and saved a bunch of links, I would need to go back and look at it all to refresh my failing faculties

--FT

On 1/2/21 10:46 AM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
On 2021-01-02 09:41, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes wrote:
I drove the 84 one day last week, I don't drive it enough but I always
enjoy it.  I rebuilt the front suspension a few years ago, probably
less than 3kmi on it, but the steering box is loose and does not
respond quickly to helm input and wanders a bit.  I looked into how to
tighten it up a bit, guess I need to give that a try.  I have another
box I pulled off the 420SEL I dissassembled, no idea if that would be
any better but I guess I could try it if tightening this one doesn't
work.

I believe checking the torque at center and off center would give you an idea of how much wear is on the SEL box, and you can adjust it off the car while doing that.

--FT