On 2021-01-05 17:00, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

Seems like the 617 Turbo was in 78-85 SD, 81-85 TD, and 82-85 CD+D

They aren't all exactly the same either. Not sure what accounts for the
differences but rated horsepower is from 109 to 123 HP over the OM617.950,
.951, .952 variants and production years.

I think the biggest difference is between the 78-79 cam and the high lift 80+ cams. My 1979 was an interim valve train, had the improved/harder cam and lifters but with the earlier geometry so no performance gain. Makes enough torque to spin the tires if it starts in first gear but I think it has less HP at high RPM.