Well, the turbo gave up on the Golf Friday on the way to work, so I had to
borrow my brother's truck (he's unable to drive for a couple months, his
pacemaker is acting up) and so there is a chore waiting for me next weekend.
It has been flaky, but I was hoping I could live with intermittent low power
and the CEL for a couple more months until the weather is better.

No such luck, gonna be out $1300 for a Borg-Warner turbo and manifold.
Hopefully it won't be a giant pain to get it in and out.  Will have to clean
the intercooler and replace all the 0-rings, which is a pain, have to remove
the bumper cover and take out the right headlight to get to the intercooler.

Anyway, not really looking forward to that except that it will be nice to have
the Golf back in full trim, it's a blast to drive when it's runnining well.
Should boost the milage a bit too, it's been running 45-47 instead of the
expected 50-52.

For Benz content, losing the Golf means I had to resurrect the half dead 300TE
for a daily driver.  With my mom not being in good shape this fall, I never got
around to putting in the new injectors and checking for a leaking fuel
distributor plunger, very likely at 33 years and 270k miles.  I did get a new
coil in it finally, and that helped a bunch, no more stalling and better idle,
but nowhere near what it should be.  Now the fuel pressure leaks down over a
few hours, very likely dripping injectors which also give the idle issues.
I'll be checking the idle control valve hoses, they are probably due for
replacement again, third time since I got the car.  Darned things split down
the mold seam and give all sorts of vacuum leak issues.

Today's project was to replace the riv-nuts for the license plate -- the screws
were a wild assortment from when I got the car, and now that Indiana goes 5 or
6 years on plates, they were all rusted firmly in place and spun the riv-nuts.
Had to grind them out and find more -- at $6 each! -- to get the plate on it.
Finally found a strong enough screw and used two washers and some grease to
pull them in, but I have license plate properly attached now.

Starts hard, idles poorly, and the heat is erratic (I think the temp wheel
rheostat is cracked on the solder joint -- if you push inward on it the temp
controls just fine, otherwise it wanders all over), but it will get me to and
from work for the next week or so.

Bought (another) new battery for the 300D too, may try to get that up and
running, although I really need to reduce the fleet, it's only me now (Mom
passed away just after Xmas at 97) and I really don't need one decent and two
half junk cars.....