I just looked at Tire Rack. Hankook Kinergy ST and General Altimax RT43 in both 175r70-14 and 185R70.

Weren't the originals something like 175R80 or R83?

I did a car search at Tire Rack, for 1984 300D they told me 195/70, for 1979 240D they told me 'we don't sell that'. A lot more choices in 195 than in 185, including the classic Vredestein Sprint (which costs more than a 17" Michelin Crossclimate for my mom's Malibu).

Just ordered a couple of wheels and four TPMS for the Malibu, Farm Bureau will sell me Firestone WeatherGrip for $149 installed if I supply the TPMS. They seem to be pretty high ranked among the Three Mountain Snowflake stuff if you care more about snow performance than summer performance.