Jim wrote:

“Even my W115 200D would maintain 85mph floored on the flats.
Eventually.  If your 240D can't do that, it's not dialed in right.  The
Albatross (240D) had real problems at first, but that's because
somebody dicked with the throttle linkages to the point where it
would not reach full throttle.  Probably not even half.”

Jaime wrote:

“I agree, if you had it floored most of the time something is wrong.  While
they’re not fast, they should easily get up to highway speed to the point that
you have to back off unless you encounter a steep hill.  Keeping the pedal down
will bring you to 85-90mph pretty easily.
Start with linkage, and all the maintenance stuff of course”

Ok. Good thoughts. I’ll start with the linkage to see anything obvious.

In terms of maintenance, I figured I would start with stuff I can do like Fuel
filters. I have a diesel purge kit too.

I am thinking I should probably have the valves adjusted/checked.  I noticed
when it starts up, it runs a little rough until I give it more fuel. It smooths
out.  It also has quite a bit of whitish gray smoke. My old worn out 82 300D
with 400K miles would blow out black smoke.

I’m wondering about the glow plugs too.  Isn’t there a way to check them with a
multimeter?  I remember changing the plugs on my 617. I thought I would start
with the hardest one. It turned out the one right in the middle was the
hardest. With rough running and white smoke and low power, couldn’t that be a
bad glow plug?

Donald H. Snook