In a message dated 5/17/2006 4:53:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Thanks  for the help list.  But even without the parking brake shoes the
noise continues.  I can hear the rubbing of the pads on the rotor and  am
more convinced that the rotor is the problem; it just seems too loose.
Maybe wheel bolts are too long to give a tight fit, but I really snug
them with a cheater bar. The basic sound  at very low speed is the  rotor
flopping on the hub and at high speed a constant rubbing and the
occasional bang.  A warped rotor?  Something in the brake  hydraulics?  I
guess it's time to switch rotors as a test as I'm  getting a bit tired of
replacing parts with no effect.  Thanks for  the help .

Neal,

If the rotor is loose, maybe the studs have too much shoulder and you are
running out of threads before the rotor tightens.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 262 K miles
98 ML 320, 142 K  miles