I always use a speed controller when I use a buffer. It gives much greater
control.
If there is heavy oxidation, do multiple buffs. First pass with a more
aggressive cutting material. Then clean the car, inspect what you have
gained, and decide if you want to take another pass with an aggressive cut
or switch to the next step of finer cut material... ALWAYS use a clean pad,
and ALWAYS clean the car between passes.

Use a light touch on the buffer, let it float across the surface and let
the cutting paste do the work. Keep an eye on the pad, before it gets
loaded up with dead paint material, clean it or switch to a fresh one.