We have a Jotul wood insert which is outstanding.  Its been cold, under
freezing for a few days for the most part.  I heat with my minisplits and
the wood insert, but the large 3 zone split stopped working earlier this
week.  This meant we were running with one 12k split on one end of the
house and the wood stove.  Still managed to keep the living room in the low
70s.  It would fall into the 60s overnight after the insert started to burn
low.

The failure of the Fujitsu was interesting... I self installed, so assumed
no warranty.  Initially the failure showed on the indoor units as no
communication to the outdoor.  The outdoor unit showed no power to the main
board, but was supplying power to the indoor units.  I found a blown fuse
on one power supply board, soldered on.  I ordered a new fuse from
McMaster, checked the obvious places I could for a short, then soldered it
in when it arrived.  The unit powered up then, but wouldn't heat and gave a
code for the outdoor unit fan after a while, which wasn't spinning.  More
testing showed 400V DC (!) to the fan connector and open circuit on the fan
motor.  I ordered up a new fan and installed it yesterday and all is good
now.

Cost me about $300 to fix.  If I did it by the service manual, I would have
had to replace the power supply board, the main control board, and the
fan.  Probably would have been a $2000 repair if I called someone.

But its a nice reminder how powerful the Jotul insert is.  Worst case, I
can run the oil fired steam heat still, but it generally costs a fortune.

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/