So this morning this has been a topic of faecesbook discussion, primarily by my more liberal friends, who blame the greed of the power companies for not "winterizing" the pipelines. Apparently some politicos have asserted that power plants are "frozen" (for reasons not stated); hence, cannot supply power.  The aforementioned liberal friends believe the gas has frozen in the pipelines because they were not insulated or heated.  I pointed out the contributions (or, in this case, the lack thereof) of wind and solar in freezing and snow conditions, and how they are incapable of operating in these conditions.  The aforementioned liberal friends believe the wind machines and solar panels could have been "winterized" as in some European countries where they continue to operate in adverse conditions.

I pointed out that sure, that is possible, but at what cost, and for a variable ("green") supplier that is dependent on uncontrollable factors (wind, sun, storms, etc.), adverse for some minimal time of the year. Greed prevents it!

As far as the pipelines go, I pointed out you can't run compressors and pumps on electricity that is unavailable, whether from wind/solar or generating units that can't get NG because the electric pumps and compressors can't get electrons because they can't get NG to run the pumps/compressors because....

Greed! People are dying because of Republican Greed!  Making economic arguments is nonsensical when people are dying due to Republican Greed!

I give up.  The level of discourse that ignores basic economics, technology, science, even political decision-making, and relies instead on feeeeeelings and a religion of R/D worship, is appallingly inadequate to deal with the issues we face.  It is sad.  I have no particular aversion to "green" sources of power if they make sense in the mix (based on all those factors), but apparently pointing out that "green" sources have limitations that need to be accounted for or compensated for is somehow Republican Greed!  People are dying!

There is no basis for any rational discussion any more.  It is sad.

Back to our favorite cars to hate...

--FT