Well list I want to thank all who had great suggestions and admit I'm feeling a little stupid. When you get the same noise before you replace a driveaxle and then it returns it's best to assume that the new driveaxle has failed. Yes, that's apparently the problem. My inde listened then put the car on the lift and let the axles hang and the noise disappears. I guess I was too sure that the axle was ok since the noise returned in 6 weeks of replacement of the driveaxle ( about 1000-1500 miles) and if the old one lasted 25 years how can one fail in 6 weeks. Well, that appears to be the problem. Last night I jacked up the rear end using the differential and left it overnight. A quiet ride this morning. How many miles will this treatment give some relief, I don't know. And I don't think I'll do the experiment. On the bright side, I 've certainly learned a lot about the rear brake system. Now to deal with the supplier of the driveaxle. Again thanks for the help.

Neal