WPA used public funds to produce public projects that made life better for
the nation, while paying a wage [a small one at that] to those who did the
work, at a time when "you could not buy a job" in the words of my Father,
who was a young man during that era.

The guiding principle at that time was "nothing is for free" and "you have
to work for what you earn".... not like today with "endless free social
programs that require nothing in return."
Imagine what the inner cities could look like now if the money given out in
welfare over the past 50 years was paid out as wages for public work
projects.