There is another layer of liability which no one is considering.
To build a house, even 50 years ago, you have to have a "building permit"
issued by the government agency, [usually called something like "Planning
and Zoning something or the other"...
Having issued a "permit to build" this government agency must know that
permit is in a known flood zone, THUS are liable. [how liable to be
determined by a court case, I suppose.]

Simple case in point:  You can't build without a permit, that permit has to
come from a government approving agency, thus, that agency is liable for
your loss.
Further point: That government agency had a list of financial gains by
issuing the permit. ie. Job security, future tax incomes for "improved
value land with a house on it." etc etc etc... Gains which they took
knowingly at the peril of the property owner / house builder..
Thus, guilty and liable.

That should bring out the big money lawyers.. what say you?