Article in today’s paper

What rubber shortage? SC manufacturers say raw material supplies sufficient.
By David Wren dw...@postandcourier.com
Published Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:00 PM EDT
It's supposed to be the biggest supply-chain crisis for manufacturers since the
global chip shortage, but dwindling supplies of rubber haven't yet hit South
Carolina's automakers and tire producers.

"We do not see a widespread shortage, however, as with all things these days,
shipments will occasionally be delayed at borders, likely due to COVID-19
regulations," said Kathryn Blackwell, vice president of communications for
Continental Tire, which has its Americas region headquarters in Lancaster
County.

"There are natural ebbs and flows with this commodity, but short-term no major
shortages," Blackwell said.

Numerous news reports in recent weeks have sounded the alarm about shortages of
natural rubber grown in places like Southeast Asia. In addition to supply chain
bottlenecks, flooding and tree disease are contributing to the low volumes and
high shipping costs. Pandemic-related factory shutdowns last year meant growers
lost money on the 2020 harvest and didn't have the capital to plant new trees
or care for mature crops, according to Rubber & Plastics News.

"(I'm) worried about supply," Ryan Wiener, global head of sustainable
development and strategic marketing for rubber grower Corrie MacColl Ltd., told
the news outlet. "Years of low prices have allowed demand to outpace growth in
supply, and it's time the world realizes that the material, which is so vital
in powering humanity's mobility, is scarce."

The rubber shortage has yet to hit the road in the Palmetto State, where
vehicles and tires are among the top export commodities.

"We are continuing to monitor the situation closely and do not foresee any
impacts to our supply at this time," said Emily Weaver, spokeswoman for
Bridgestone Americas, which makes tires in Aiken County. "Our team will
continue to monitor this situation and maintain open lines of communication
with all of our key stakeholders to ensure adequate supply and overall business
continuity."

The story is the same for the state's automakers, which rely on rubber supplies
for many of their components.

"So far, our plant has not been impacted from the rubber shortage," said Steve
Wilson, spokesman for the BMW Manufacturing plant in Spartanburg County, the
German company's largest factory in the world.

The Volvo campus in Berkley County, where S60 sedans are built, also isn't
feeling stretched.

"To date, we have not been impacted by rubber-related supply shortages,"
spokeswoman Stephanie Mangini said.

Meanwhile, reports indicate the situation could get worse before rubber crops
rebound.

"It's definitely tightening up," Ann Marie Uetz, a Detroit-based partner at
Foley and Lardner, a law firm that represents auto parts manufacturers, told
Bloomberg News. "It's nowhere near the level of the chip shortage from our
perspective so far, but it's definitely brewing."

--FT
Sent from iPhone