My grandfather saved his money and paid cash for cars. He had this cool leather
envelope, which smelled of Captain Black, in which he would save his car money.
When he had enough saved (he typically kept a car four years almost to the
day...always around my birthday in February), he would go see Charlie Mangold
at his Ford dealer...just like he had done since 1942, test drive a new model
and order a new car. I was told the first time I participated in this tradition
was in  1962 when he bought his Baby Blue Starliner.  I don’t remember going to
Charlie’s in ‘62 but I sure remember that Starliner. I fondly remember being
with him and ordering the 1966 Galaxie 500XL, the first LTD in 1970, the next
LTD in 1974, and another in 1978.
In February 1981, he went to see Charlie for what turned out to be the last
time. It was sad because both of those old coots knew nothing is like it used
to be. Charlie told grandfather he really couldn’t order cars any more. My
grandfather was fighting cancer so he didn’t want my grandmother to have to
drive a big old LTD, so he settled for a Fairmont off of the lot. My
grandfather despised that car. My grandmother enjoyed driving it. When I asked
him why he didn’t get the sweet LTD, white with tan leather, landau roof with
opera windows like he liked, he told me, “boy, men do things like this for the
women they love. If ever tell your grandmother I hate this car I will kick your
punk ass. Always remember this.”

AZBob

Sent from my iPhone