Yes, it is MUCH more expensive.  It is about $600 for a 30 day supply.  With my insurance it was running around $180 per month. I signed up for some program from the manufacturer and was able to get it for $10 a month.  In any case, after a little google searching, Xarelto is not effective for patients with whatever syndrome is that I have.  That would explain why the doctor is switching my medication.