HI John,
Most likely the bushings on each end of the shift rods (there are three of
them, so 6 bushings) are probably gone.  This causes the levers on the
shifter to end up in odd places and occasionally jam.  There are also
bushing in the shifter itself that can contribute to the problem.  Best
action is to order up all the bushings from the classic center and spend a
weekend rebuilding everything.  You'll be surprised by how nice it can all
be when repaired properly.

Good luck
Jaime

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 8:07 PM John Ingram via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
> I have a ’83 240D with a 4 speed manual.  The car has about 330K miles.  I
> was driving today and when shifting into 2nd gear the shifter got stuck in
> neutral position and would not move in any direction, I pulled and pushed
> the lever and it freed up and I continued on everything working fine. I
> headed home and on a hill had to downshift into first and the shifter
> suddenly felt like it was not connected to anything.  The car was still in
> 3rd gear but I couldn’t start out in 3rd and it stalled. I started the
> engine and the shifter and transmission worked normally the rest of the way
> home.  The problem is intermittent, from normal to stuck to normal to
> disconnected to normal.
> Has anyone ever experienced this on a 240D 4-speed?  Any ideas as to what
> it could be?
>
> Thank you
> John Ingram
> Maryland