What Jaime said. I never had one get that bad, but I did replace a bunch of
those bushings over the years ---

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 8:19 PM Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> HI John,
> Most likely the bushings on each end of the shift rods (there are three of
> them, so 6 bushings) are probably gone.  This causes the levers on the
> shifter to end up in odd places and occasionally jam.  There are also
> bushing in the shifter itself that can contribute to the problem.  Best
> action is to order up all the bushings from the classic center and spend a
> weekend rebuilding everything.  You'll be surprised by how nice it can all
> be when repaired properly.
>
> Good luck
> Jaime
>

> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 8:07 PM John Ingram via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> > I have a ’83 240D with a 4 speed manual.  The car has about 330K miles.
> > was driving today and when shifting into 2nd gear the shifter got stuck
> in
> > neutral position and would not move in any direction, I pulled and pushed
> > the lever and it freed up and I continued on everything working fine. I
> > headed home and on a hill had to downshift into first and the shifter
> > suddenly felt like it was not connected to anything.  The car was still
> in
> > 3rd gear but I couldn’t start out in 3rd and it stalled. I started the
> > engine and the shifter and transmission worked normally the rest of the
> way
> > home.  The problem is intermittent, from normal to stuck to normal to
> > disconnected to normal.
> > Has anyone ever experienced this on a 240D 4-speed?  Any ideas as to what
> > it could be?
> >
> > Thank you
> > John Ingram
> > Maryland
> >

> --
> Jaime Kopchinski
> http://www.jaimekop.com/

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!