Sounds like a good vehicle, finally.  Yeah there is more to go wrong with it but if you bought to drive, then...  The 722.9s are pretty strong as long as you keep after the fluid, I was watching some vids about rebuilding 722.9s, seems like the clutches burn up with bad/old/no fluid.  I think that is what happened to this 06ML500 as the old fluid was burned and nasty and it seemed pretty low what I drained out.

The 05ML500 towed that 06 home on my trailer, no problems. It has a 722.6 which is pretty strong.

--FT