I’ve got a small bathroom in the Flagstaff house that has very dated 12” square
vinyl flooring (from what I can see.) It’s a small area, maybe 4’ x 6’, if
that. The flooring is in good condition finish-wise, but is discolored from age
and UV exposure due to a skylight being in the ceiling. It was clearly put down
before the bathroom was finished, as it goes underneath the vanity, toilet, and
shower insert.

Here’s my question:

Can I simply put another layer of either 12” square or continuous flooring over
this without an issue? It’s clearly stable and could very well be original (40+
years). There’s no lifting, peeling or separation anywhere that I can find.

I’m going to be replacing the toilet at the same time, so I’ll be putting the
flooring around the floor flange so it will cover the whole area rather than be
butted against the edges of the toilet base.

Recommendations for material? I presume I’ll just put some sort of mastic down
with a V trowel to secure the flooring?

No need for anything fancy, just looking to make it look nice and consistent.

Thanks!

-D