The NA E300D would roll coal at full throttle stomp.  Not continuously, but for
a few moments.  Is this on a hot engine?  I was able to get deep black a few
hours in on long drives.  Best solution was B5 to help dissolve the gunk built
up and Italian tunes to blast carbon out.  Cleaned up nozzles and got better
breathing/power.  Blazing down the freeways at 80 all day got me close to
37mpg.  City had a hard time getting better mileage than you are seeing.
Thirties seem to be reserved for highway distances at speed.

---
clay

I turned my computer upside down and shook it, but the bookmark for what I'm
looking for didn't fall out.