Has the cost of the materials gone up that much?  A few years ago I paid $12k
for a very steep roof, architectural shingles, white so they are Energy Star,
with full water and ice damn sheild on entire roof, and extra strapping for
protection against hurricanes.  Basically I paid for every extra I could except
a metal roof.  My house is two story, about 2400 square feet, complex roof.

Max Dillon
Charleston SC