Yeah I was remembering something like that follower on the inner end, but I
really need my "Complete Idiots Guide" exploded diagram to remember.  What
a great book!

OK so that follower is motivated by a separate shaft that runs parallel and
below the crankshaft?  Is that right?  IIRC that is the setup.  Probably
not going to be a concern here, problem is most likely at the outer end in
the head somewhere.
Max
Charleston SC